Are you someone who has heard “greasy hair is the best hair” for formal styles? If that is your state of mind let me be the first to tell you, in 2021 that is no longer the case. The styles have changed, therefore hair preparation has changed.
Right now I’m going to give you the rundown on each hair type and how we would like you to prepare for your big day:
First, every hair texture is different and has different hair care instructions leading up to your wedding day. Even though most styles will look best with a fresh blow out no more than 24 hours before the wedding day, some styles require a little more or sometimes less attention than that.
- If you have thin, fine hair, for most styles.. ideally we would like you to blow out your hair right before bed or first thing in the morning right before we arrive. There are a few exceptions to that rule though. If you choose a sleek style with no volume a little oil is ok, and we can work with a day old blowout.
- Next, for medium to thick wavy or straight hair we appreciate a day old fresh blowout for the best results in your style on your wedding day. A one day old blow out will allow us to achieve the desired volume in the style and will decrease the amount of frizz in the hair. Even if you choose a more polished style, a day old blow out will allow us to work with the hair easier and will not cause separation in the hair from too much oil while styling it.
- If you’re one of our curly brides and you want to embrace your beautiful locks we are all about it! Shoutout to our curly girls!! Depending on the style you choose will determine how we would like your hair prepped. If you are wearing your hair down and curly, and you have nice tight curls that do not require any refining of the curl with an iron. Then, we would like you to have damp hair so we can prep and style your hair with the diffuser and our curly hair styling products.
- On the other hand, if your curls need a little refining to make the look we want, we would like your hair to be naturally dried with maybe a little curl cream to contain the frizz. So, when you sit in our chair we can tackle that hair and refine those curls to perfect ringlets like you would like. For an updo we also like naturally dried hair but we probably will dampen the hair ourselves and diffuse your curls before putting it up. Along with using an iron to tighten some of those romantic curls that “fall out” of the style if that is the desired look you are going for.
- Finally, For all hair types, please do not use too much product the day before or the day of the wedding, stiff hairspray will cause the hair to look “white and flaky” and will inhibit your stylist from getting the desired texture they are looking for. Unless we specify, dry clean hair is usually the best bet. If your stylist has to dry your hair before the style it will take more time and maybe back up the schedule of the day.
If you ever have any questions we are of course here to help. So never hesitate to ask how we prefer you to be prepped.
Peace and Love,
Vice President/ Lead Hairstylist