I’m curious, when looking for the perfect hairstyle for your big day, what is the first thing you look for? Do you google “Wedding hairstyles”, “Celebrity hairstyles”, “updos on brown/blonde hair”, or do you search instagram for the perfect style? I’m here to tell you exactly what you should be looking for and why!
First, you need to really think about the time of year you are getting married, the gown style, and the practicality of the hairstyle that you want.
- If you’re getting married in the summer you may want to consider an updo. The last thing you want is for the weather to ruin your hair and mood on the day of your wedding. While we can do everything in our power to have a down style hold, the weather usually has more power.
- Your gown is what sets the tone. Is your style more victorian, high fashion, classic, or chic? Does it have a high neck, low back, a lot of detail on the back, one shoulder, sleeveless, or sleeves? All of these things determine what style you should decide on. If your gown is a satin, a-line with a cap sleeve and sweetheart neckline, then maybe you want to go with a timeless, more muted style and a beautiful headpiece. If your gown is a lace, strapless, mermaid bottom with lots of bling, then your hairstyle should definitely be more high fashion and elaborate.
- Practicality! Does the style you want require a ton of hair? Do you have it? Can extensions help? Does the texture of your hair lend itself well to this style? For example, if you’ve chosen a sleek, smooth style, can your hair match that texture with proper prep? We can help you determine this.
Second, what color is your hair? When searching for a hairstyle, the color of your hair makes such a huge difference in the style of your choice. As a matter of fact it’s one of the most important key factors when choosing a style.
- Blondes show texture and detail really well! If you have blonde hair something like a braid is going to be more visible in the style of your choice.
- Dark hair lends itself well to accessories and accents! With brown hair you will not see specific details as easily so adding a nice hairpiece is a great idea!
- Do your research in your hair color! Search “bridal updos for brunettes” or “bridal hair for blondes”.
- If something speaks to you in a different hair color, search it in yours and see if you still love it!
While we’re talking about the color of the hair, adding dimension to your color will always add a wow factor to the finished style. You do not always have to put color in your hair although, highlights are rarely a bad choice. We can add the dimension you need with extensions! Extensions are not just a one trick pony, they have many uses. Not only do they add length; we can use them to add dimension and volume as well.
Additionally, we can add some bling bling to the hair to make it Pop! A shiny clip or hair piece always gives the hair life! Accessories are never a bad idea and purchasing more than one for your trial and trying them all out is brilliant. If your hair is down with glam waves you might want a big comb for the one side of your hair that wouldn’t necessarily work if you ended up deciding to wear your hair up. Having more than one option is always encouraged!
Third, try not to stray too far from your comfort zone. If you are a hair down woman in every day life and never put it up, let’s consider an elevated down style or half up/half down. While this is not to say we recommend doing what you do every day, what we are saying is be aware of your do’s and don’t’s list. Do you dislike pulling your hair back because of your face shape but thinking about it for your wedding? Keep that in mind and let us know. We can try to address your specific concerns in your design with minor adjustments.
Finally, trust in your stylist. You are choosing the stylist because you have seen their work or you trust in the source who referred you. Keeping that in mind, know that your stylist will have your best interest at heart and their goal is to make you feel and look like a million bucks! Your artist will look into all aspects of your day. The day of year, if the wedding is inside or out, the style of the gown, the personal style of the bride, color , length and texture of the brides hair, face shape, and reference pictures. Go to your trial with an open mind and with a few looks chosen. Collaborate together to create the most perfect masterpiece! Hair and makeup is an art and when you allow our artistic juices to flow, you will get the best of that artist!
One more note: Do not be afraid to speak up and ask for a change on the trial day. That is why we have such a day. So we can ensure your satisfaction and make the day of the wedding nothing but enjoyable for you! I love nothing more than showing up to the day of the wedding and hearing, “do exactly what you did at the trial”. That shows me we did our job and you are confident in our ability to make you the most beautiful bride.
Hair is not only my passion but it is a staple in your wedding!
Peace and Love,
Kelly – Vice President/Hairstylist